If you have morning sickness:
- Eat a piece of toast or a cracker on rising or before getting out of bed.
- Early in the day, eat lightly and frequently. Avoid liquid with your meals.
- Avoid gassy vegetables (cabbage family and those with strong flavor or coarse texture).
- Cooked vegetables and canned fruits will be more easily tolerated.
- By lunchtime, food tolerance has usually increased and a well-balanced meal may be eaten.
- Ginger tea or ginger snaps have been found to be helpful in controlling nausea.
What do I do if I get constipated during pregnancy?
If you are constipated :
- Raw vegetables are excellent, as are high-fiber cereals.
- Eat raw fruits plus one serving of prunes or prune juice daily.
- Maintain fluid intake to at least 10 glasses per day even though you may experience urgency.
- Eating meals regularly is important.
- Regular physical activity will also help.
What do I do if I get heartburn?
If you get heartburn:
- Avoid highly seasoned (spicy) foods, caffeine and peppermint.
- Avoid fatty and fried foods.
- Decrease coarse textured foods (i.e., those that require a lot of chewing — apples, celery, etc.)
- Eat small meals often rather than large meals.
- Avoid liquids with meals. They should be taken at least a half-hour before or after meals.
- Never lie down after a meal. It is better that you sit.
- Over the counter antacids such as Maalox, Tums and Gaviscon are safe to use.
- If problems still persist, speak to your doctor. Avoid the use of bicarbonate of soda.
Can I use hair dyes or have a permanent during my pregnancy?
So far, no link has been found between the use of dyes or permanents during pregnancy and the development of birth defects. However, the very cautious may want to avoid these chemicals altogether. We recommend that you restrict their use after the first trimester.
Can I use a hot tub during pregnancy?
We do not recommend that pregnant women use a hot tubs, saunas or steam rooms during pregnancy. The excessive heat may be harmful.
What kind of fish can I eat while I am pregnant?
A March 2004 advisory from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommended that pregnant women, women who could become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children avoid eating certain types of fish that are high in mercury. These include shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish. Please refer to the March of Dimes Website www.marchofdimes.com for more specific information.
Can I go to a chiropractor during my pregnancy?
Yes, you can continue to go to your chiropractor during your pregnancy.
What kind of dental work can I have during my pregnancy?
You can continue to have routine cleanings during your pregnancy. Delay any routine x-rays until after the birth of your baby; however, there is little danger if the x-ray was performed during the first trimester. If you require an emergency dental x-ray, be sure the abdominal area is well-shielded.
I am concerned that the baby is not moving as much as he should be. What is the normal amount of fetal movement?
If you have any concerns about fetal movement, please call the office and ask to speak to one of the midwives.