Work Guidelines Through Pregnancy
Today, most women continue to be employed throughout their pregnancy. A period of disability or maternity leave generally occurs 2 to 4 weeks before your due date. Sometimes complications occur that require women to stop working prior to this time. Maternity leave generally extends until 6 weeks following the delivery.
The list that follows should be considered as a guideline for you at work. As always, common sense should be applied:
- Avoid lifting over 35 pounds
- Avoid pushing or pulling with greater than 100 pounds of force
- Avoid high places where falling may be possible
- Avoid toxic/noxious fumes or odors
- Avoid high temperatures
- Avoid excessive fatigue
- Avoid prolonged sitting or standing
We encourage you to discuss any restrictions on your activity with your employer.